In Spring 1994, we joined with four other arts organizations in the state to form ArtsPartners and were the lead organization for one of only two arts projects funded by AmeriCorps.
In 1989 and 1990 we purchased two buildings on Market Street which has given us much needed space and greater visibility in the community. In the summers of 1996, 1997, our summer program participants worked with artist Dennis Sullivan to paint murals on our outside walls and begin an environmental garden in our courtyard. We are currently expanding and renovating our facilities with a Building Fund for the Arts grant from the Mississippi Arts Commission.
Mississippi Cultural Crossroads is housed in two historic buildings in downtown Port Gibson, Mississippi. The town sits astride the Great River Road, Highway 61, where it crosses the south fork of Bayou Pierre.
This historic town was founded in 1803 by Samuel Gibson. It was the scene of an important Civil War battle in 1863, when General Grant crossed the Mississippi River just below Port Gibson in his successful effort to seize the city of Vicksburg and cut the Confederacy in two. Many antebellum homes remain along Church Street because, according to local legend, Grant declared the town "too beautiful to burn."
In the 1960s and 70s it became the scene of an important struggle in the Civil Rights Movement when the local chapter of the NAACP initiated a boycott of white merchants to back up their demands for political and civic equality. A damage suit against the boycotters by local merchants was eventually settled in favor of the NAACP by the United States Supreme Court.
Port Gibson is just minutes off the Natchez Trace Parkway, approximately halfway between Jackson and Natchez. (Take the exit at mile marker 37 or 41.) It is 30 miles south of Vicksburg on U.S. 61, and 65 miles southwest of Jackson on Mississippi 18. U.S. 61 becomes Church Street in Port Gibson, and Mississippi Cultural Crossroads is at 507 Market Street (also known as Main Street), two blocks west of Church. MCC is at the intersection of Market and Fair Streets, one block south of the Claiborne County Courthouse and immediately across the street from the Claiborne County Administration Building.